Pontefract Road, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 4JB, admin@sjc.bkcat.co.uk

Tel: 01977 555780

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities?

At St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School we identify children as having SEND through a variety of ways. These include:

  • Liaison with previous class teacher
  • Recognising that a child is performing below age expected levels through termly Pupil Progress Meetings held between teaching staff and SENDCO
  • Concerns raised by a parent 
  • Concerns raised by a teacher for example behaviour or self-esteem is affecting performance 
  • Liaison with external agencies 
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician

As a school, we measure children’s progress in learning against national expectations and age-related expectations.

The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track the children’s progress from entry at Upper Foundation Stage through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods.

Children who are not making expected progress are picked up through our regular assessments and Pupil Progress Meetings to discuss what further support can be given.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Talk to us – first contact your child’s class teacher. If you require more information contact the SENCO. We want to ensure that we build positive relationships with parents.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • We offer an open door policy where you are welcome at any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENDCo and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home. 
  • We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs. 
  • If your child has a Supporting me to Learn Plan (an individualised plan to set specific targets for the needs of your child) there will be termly meetings.
  • If your child has complex SEND they may have an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan), which means that a formal meeting will take place to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written. 

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children. 
  • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the SENDCo for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Learning Support Services and/or an Educational Psychologist. 
  • The school also has a Learning Monitor who works with children with behavioural / emotional / social issues and communicates regularly with parents.
  • We can also offer support through Catholic Care.

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

  • The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site (See policies section). 
  • Parents need to contact the class teacher if medication is recommended by Health Professionals to be taken during the school day. 
  • On a day to day basis, the Headteacher and trained staff administer prescribed medicine and generally oversee the administration of any medicines. 
  • As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual children so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.

Who can I contact for further information?

  • First point of contact would be your child’s class teacher to share your concerns. 
  • You could also arrange to meet Miss Horan, the School SENDCo. 
  • Look at the SEND policy on our website.